Sunday, February 28, 2016

18 hours, cholent

Google: cho·lent
ˈCHôlənt,ˈCHəl-/
noun
Jewish Sabbath dish of slowly baked meat and vegetables, prepared on a Friday and cooked overnight. 
Urban dictionary: cholent
An Ashkenazi food that looks like mush. It strongly resembles feces, but it taste heavenly.
mmmmmmmm........... that cholent smells so orgasmic 

Heres a before and after to prove the point (no reeses or boos were included): 





The history of cholent dates back thousands of years, and you can read more about it here http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2011/01/cholent/

Growing up a reform jewish girl (emphasis on the very reform, culture only) I knew what cholent was, and it was a staple at every high holiday...the ones we actually attended. Now whether or not I ate it, as a picky eater, was another story. So the memory of it isn't strong, but I'm reminded of it every time I'm around my jewish relatives for any length of time. It came into my life again right after college, and I just graduated, and had moved in with my grandparents who are religious Jews who celebrate sabbath every week. (Please don't be offended by any misuse of wording or labeling). They ALWAYS had cholent in the house, and some there main purpose in life being grandparents was to feed me, I LIVED ON CHOLENT. Now after that year, it fell by the wayside once more, as I was reveling in the variety of food choices I had forgotten about while living there.

So what do you say prompted me to learn a jewish right of passage per say and learn to make cholent this weekend? No other than one of the other 4 (including myself) jewish coworkers at work. At this point we are a weird possy. But put any jewish person in a room with another jewish person, and you will be talking about food in 60 seconds flat, guaranteed. As soon as he said the word cholent, delicious memories of that year came back, and it was all I wanted. So here it is, my first ever attempt at cholent.

My first attempt has the major no-no's. I used canned beans. Clearly it's doomed. And I cooked in a slow cooker aka crock pot (this no no is iffy). I can only judge by taste, and it's not perfect but my first attempt tastes pretty close amazing with a side of home and love. I'll let the flavors warm me for the next week.

Recipe I made up after looking online
1/2 - 1 pound your favorite meat (I used chuck roast)
1 carton beef stock
2 cans (or equivalent) your favorite beans*
2-3 cups barley
1 onion
1 1/2 cup carrots chopped
3 medium red potatoes
Add any other veggies you like
Salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, paprika, turmeric, cumin, **

Chop anything that needs chopping, drain and wash beans, and throw everything into the crock pot. Cook on high setting for 3 hours (if your crock pots really strong you can make it 2 hours) then low setting overnight (I cooked on low for 15 hours, for 18 hours total)

*if using fresh/dry beans, soak first (look that up!) and you may need to add water to the stock so you don't have crunchy beans.

**use whichever spices or combo there of you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment