Monday, August 15, 2011

How About Connections First?

I can't believe it's been over a week since I have put up a new post! I knew I would get busy and caught up with life, but I won't let it get the best of me. I need some major "me time" today so this is my ow personal escape during this crazy week at my school we call first connection. Its a program where a select group of freshman get to come for a pre-orientation that's based around diversity and multiculturalism. and I am one of the mentors, similar to a camp counselor. It is super fun but absolutely exhausting. But meeting all these new freshman made me think about the ways we connect with people in the world. I have people on my facebook that I've never met before and I mean I don't have any problems with anyone but over the last couple of days I've just been connecting what some might say the old fashioned way, by going up and talking to people. No facebook, no meet once and then only text for the next month, no nothing like that, just simply hanging out and talking to people. And I've already made a new friend who hung out with me for a bit tonight. We don;t have eachother phone numbers or anything, but we just know that we will see each other tomorrow at breakfast, and that is all we need. I am a social person so I thrive off of social interactions (although is does tire me out at times) so for me its hard to keep friendships alive simply based on twitter posts. All of these social media are helpful but we have to realize they are not everything. and this is coming from the girl who has a twitter, facebook, myspace, tumblr, skype, formspring, youtube, 3 emails, and a blog. Surprisingly this was not the post I intended to write tonight, but I just started thinking about it so I thought I'd share even though I know many before me have probably said similar things. So just maybe next time, before you add that person because of 5 mutual friends on facebook, make the connection first. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment