Friday, July 29, 2011

Being an adult sucks...In a good way

So today as I was sitting on my computer a bit bored and thinking about how I was going to make today great, my mother gives me the perfect opportunity to get out and do something. She has to run some errands and asks me to tag along for the ride. Why not? Not like I had anything else to do. now all is going well when she decides that we should make an unplanned stop at the mall. She wanted to look for some new shorts and we ended up at charlotte russe which is a store that I generally enjoy. And to clear one thing up, it is not unusual for my mom to shop there, she dresses pretty young and we shop at a lot of the same places. Anyways I at first thought we were just shopping for her, but I was casually glancing for myself and wasn't really intending on getting anything, although they had major sales going on. I just went shopping for myself last weekend, which I had not done in a very very long time and didn't feel i needed to spend any more money. But as usual my mother starts picking out things for me and saying "oh that would look great on you" or "isnt this pretty" while handing me a colorful top or floral skirt. I figured whats the harm in trying some things on, they are all on sale, the stuff is cute, and my mom obviously wants me too. But before I had made the desicion in my head to actually shop for a few things, I had made the assumption that my mom wanted to buy me these things, and that's why she was encouraging me. that was wrong assumption number 1. In this situation I was not her daughter necessarily, just another adult friend to be shopping with. If she had been shopping with her best friend, they would each pay for there own things. This is also on top of the fact that money is very tight for her, and one of the reasons I am what some may call an independent adult is because she just cant afford to support me. So looking back on it I understand why when I walked out of the fitting room, she was already purchasing her items at the register and not waiting for me to give her what I picked out. Oh the dangers of trying on clothes. I had fallen in love with a bohemian top and a cute printed skirt. As I walk up to her at the register I show her which ones I picked but say I don't know if I want to spend the money, mind you it was only 20 dollars for the 2 items. She replies by stating that I've worked hard this summer and that I deserve to splurge a little. That was all it took. So although that 20 dollars may have been better spent on gas and was not necessarily in my budget it will all work itself out. Today was another small step in the road of life, but it didn't catch me on my laces. And another thing I realized is what a qguilty influence my mother is on me! peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment