Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Making Full Circles

So just now, I realized something pretty amazing that I learned from my internship, that connects right back to my art seminar class.

Just yesterday, we went to visit the Art Institute of Chicago, a very beautiful museum and definitely a treat. We specifically went to see a new show in the new modern wing of the museum. It's called LightYears (http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/exhibitions/LightYears/index) and It was almost all photography, so I loved it! If you are in Chicago and like art even in the slightest, go check out this museum.

On to today. Today, I was working, I've been researching grants and possible funding sources for my internship all day. I come across a tricky organization and I found out what they have previously funded and right in the middle of all these normal 5 and 10 thousand dollar grants, there is this larger one to the art institute. It didn't shock me to much since it was a museum, it was only later that I made the connection. There was not much more on this foundation, but there was plenty on the guy who created the foundation, so out of curiosity I click on a link for him. Turns out, him and his foundation were one of the main sponsors of the Art Institute's modern wing! Pretty cool huh?

Not only did I get to see and discuss some very cool art yesterday, I got to spend part of my day today learning about one of the dudes that made it possible for me to see that art! I know I'm a dork sometimes but seriously this is how you learn! I love how this program comes full circle. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment