Sunday, March 18, 2012

On Second Thought...

I should probably tell you all about this play I saw yesterday cause it really was just that good. It was a pay-what-you-can night at the Steppenwolf and that means A broke girl like me can afford to go see a pretty cool show. It was also a show put on by Steppenwolf for young adults, so most of the actors high school students and such which I love to see since I have a high interest ion young adults and children's theater. It was insanely good quality acting! Ok ok ok on to my real pointful response.

FML: How Carson McCullers Saved My Life. Yes that is what it's called. It poised as the story of this girl Jo, a gay high school student in a catholic school, as told through her graphic novel, but really its the story of all 5 characters in the play and how everyone is affected by the situation that is occurring. There's Jo, then there's her brother Reed, who doesn't think anything of her being gay, there's Jo's best guy friend, whose also presumed gay, Mickey, there's Emma, Jo's new chem partner turned only "straight" girl in school who would want to be friends with Jo, and last there's Ms. D, the new English teacher, also presumed gay.

In an interesting plot, none of the enemies or negative characters were portrayed on stage. It gave the play way more focus on what was actually occurring, and made us imagine that these "bad guys" could be anyone in the real world. I think the three young students in this show portray 3 different levels of dealing with gay in a straight world. Mickey, Always wants to fight, do do what's right by taking action, convincing others that they should say something. Jo is in the middle, Just dealing with the teasing and Harassment and she doesn't want to make a fuss so she doesn't draw more attention to herself, but still stands out and is not going to blend in. Then there's Emma, who is struggling with why she maybe likes Jo, and is caught between her abusive boyfriend Tyler and Jo, struggling with learning about what being gay really means for Jo and others and trying to be the best friend that she knows how to be to Jo.

Ok enough with the character development, the play's plot is simple enough, but at times not cliche and at others very cliche. Jo, is struggling but it gets worse as the story goes on. Little bings of light happen along the way, when she confides in her very understanding teacher, Mrs D. when the school changes the rule where girls were required to where skirts, but there is still a gradual decline. First its someone defacing Jo's locker with the word "Faggot" and then the climax, is Jo getting beaten up close to death after a school basketball game and lands her in the hospital for a week. It is a sad, shocking, and unexpected climax, that jolts you right in the middle of this story. I also thought the ending was a little short, but an amazing choice. No happy ending, no resolution. Ms. D, the only teacher Jo likes at her catholic school, gets fired. Even though Emma repairs her friendship with Jo, Jo does not seem to "get better" (although she heals from the beating and returns to school). The piece ends with just Jo and Mickey, ditching school and having a conversation.

I could have gone on to explain that story forever and in such detail of all the little things that happened. I loved the show more than you can ever know. It was not a PSA, It didn't come off as anything predictable or what I may have expected. It was reality, raw, real, and true, but still portrayed in a semi fictional way. The emotions, the feelings, even the behaviors from all sides are things that go on in our world every single day. A world where kids are not safe from each other is the sad world that we live in and I like to think that I fight to change that every single day. I don't dislike someone for not having the same views as I do, but as long as you can show me respect, I will give you that in return. I've lived with a catholic roommate, I have another friend who does not believe in gay rights. Neither of them have ever pushed there views on me and I don't push on them, and we have great friendships because of it, and I have learned so much from both of them. The problem that I have is with parents, adults, and other people who don't let children think independently, don't let them form their own views. or don't teach them to respect others even if they have different views than you. That last piece is what is really going to save our kids and save our future. Plays like this are so important for people to see because they truly make you think and help you understand from all perspectives. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment